Wellp. Since soon pretty much anyone is going to be able to go to Cuba now that flights are open and talk of a ferry is happening, you might want to avoid the mobs of tourists in Havana, where most of the touristic activities take place.
Havana is great and all to experience, but you’ll see what I mean when you get to Havana Vieja and there are double decker tour busses shuttling people around. Plus they play up the whole “old 1950’s classic car” thing and over charge the crap out of tourists in that area. It’s still worth it for the pictures though, so don’t be ashamed to whip out those selfie sticks!
But if you’re staying in Havana and want to see some other awesome areas of Cuba that are nearby, these are the places I’d recommend!
1. Spend the Day in Varadero
2. Take the Tourist Bus to Santa Maria Beach
3. See the Tobacco Plantations in Viñales
4. Go On a Tour of the Viñales Caves
5. Explore the Jungles in Pinar del Rio
6. Experience the History of Cienfuegos
7. Visit Cuba’s #1 Luxury Destination – Cayo Coco
8. Time Travel in the Tiny Town of Santiago de las Vegas
9. Have Fun in Santa Fe
10. Stop by Matanzas and Guanabo’s BeachesThese are two other beaches that my grandfather reccommended, and they aren’t too far from Havana. They are actually in between Santa Maria and Varadero, so if you have plans to go to either, try to stop by Matanzas or Guanabo as well.